Celebrating 150 Years of Mansfield Primary School
Mansfield Primary School is celebrating 150 years in it's current location at Apollo Street.
The main building was constructed in 1852 near Little Battery on the corner of the Police Paddock, adjoining the show grounds. It was opened in 1852 with twenty-two children present. Mr H.P. Woodland was the head teacher.
In July 1858 a new building was erected near Ford’s Creek at the west end of High Street. The school became known as Common School 429 in 1863. The first head teacher delegated by the Nationals School Board was Mr Charles Thompson who was appointed in 1860.
In September 1872, the common school was moved to a more central position between Highett and Elvins Streets, just behind the home of Mr Roy Gray, now incorporated in the playground of the primary school. On September 30, 1872 Mansfield SS1112 was opened as a common school after a public appeal raised 130 pounds for its construction. The school was capable of accommodating ninety children, though the largest attendance at that time was sixty four. Mr John Elvins was the head teacher.
On January 1, 1923 the school was proclaimed a Higher Elementary School by the Chief Inspector of Secondary Schools due to the growing number of students. Additional rooms had to be added to accommodate the growing number of pupils who came in from the surrounding districts. The Maindample, Barwite and Howe’s Creek schools were closed during the 1940s and the buildings were moved to Mansfield SS1112.